The deadliest border in the world

Published on 17 April 2015 at 12:59

On 17 April Italian police arrested 15 African men suspected of throwing about a dozen Christians from a migrant boat in the Mediterranean reports the Times of Malta. According to the daily,

almost 450 people are thought to have died this week after rescued migrants brought to the Sicilian port of Trapani said on 17 April 41 others travelling with them had drowned during the journey. About 400 died earlier this week when passengers crowded to one side of their boat, causing it to capsize, survivors said.

UNHCR figures say that –

So far in 2015, over 35,000 refugees and migrants have crossed the Mediterranean Sea (including 23,500 who landed in Italy and over 12,000 in Greece). At the same time, some 950 people have been reported dead or missing at sea.

Subscribe to the Voxeurop newsletter in English

Was this article useful? If so we are delighted! It is freely available because we believe that the right to free and independent information is essential for democracy. But this right is not guaranteed forever, and independence comes at a cost. We need your support in order to continue publishing independent, multilingual news for all Europeans. Discover our membership offers and their exclusive benefits and become a member of our community now!

Are you a news organisation, a business, an association or a foundation? Check out our bespoke editorial and translation services.

Support independent European journalism

European democracy needs independent media. Join our community!

On the same topic